How to Clean Designer Bags the Right Way
Luxury bags are not just accessories, no, as a matter of fact; they are pieces of art that express our personal style and add an enchanting touch to our day-to-day. They are more than just a place to store our belongings; they are a statement of who we are and what we value. That's why taking care of them is essential.
By giving them the proper attention, we are not only preserving their beauty and longevity, but we are also investing in our ourselves. A well-crafted luxury bag is a smart investment that can last for years, even decades, becoming a timeless treasure that can be passed down through generations. By knowing how to clean designer bags the proper way, we are ensuring that their charm and elegance will continue to mesmerise us for years.
A Guide to Luxury Bag Cleaning
Cleaning Leather Luxury Bags
Leather luxury bags are timeless and stylish, but they can also be sensitive to certain cleaning products. Here are some tips for keeping your leather bag looking like new:
- Start by wiping your leather luxury bag with a soft, dry cloth to remove any surface dirt, dust, or debris that would have accumulated over time.
- If there are any stubborn stains, mix a small amount of mild dish soap with water and apply it to the stain with a soft cloth. Be sure to use only a small amount of soap and avoid saturating the leather – you simply want to remove the stain, not douse the bag.
- To remove the soapy solution, use a clean, damp cloth (no soap), until the residue has been soaked up.
- If your leather bag is particularly dirty, consider using our leather care kit. This specific product is designed to remove dirt and stains while also nourishing and protecting the leather of your designer bag, ensuring it lasts its lifetime.
- Once you've cleaned your bag, let it air dry away from direct sunlight or heat, so the surface doesn’t receive any source of damage.
Cleaning Suede Luxury Bags
Suede luxury bags are soft and luxurious but can be more delicate than other materials, especially when it comes to the way in which they need to be maintained. Here are some tips for luxury bag cleaning when it comes to suede:
- Cleaning this specific material requires a suede brush to gently remove any surface dirt or stains. Be sure to brush in the direction of the suede's natural grain.
- If there are any stubborn stains, use a suede eraser to gently rub the stain to buff it out. Be careful not to apply too much pressure, as this can damage the suede.
- If your suede bag is particularly dirty, consider using a suede cleaner, which are specially designed for suede surfaces. From there, utilise a suede conditioner to assist in revitalising the material.
- Let your bag air dry away from direct sunlight or heat. Be sure to stuff the bag with paper or a towel to help it retain its shape while drying.
Prevention is key when it comes to suede and fabric handbags so consider using a fabric protector spray to help repel stains and water.
Cleaning Nylon Luxury Bags
When it comes to learning how to clean luxury bags, nylon is possibly the simplest. Here are some tips for keeping your nylon bag looking great for as long as possible:
- Start by gathering either a soft towel, or a microfribre cloth – even a soft toothbrush will work.
- From there, apply some gentle liquid soap and warm water to the surface of your bag, being careful not to drench it, just a light coating.
- Gently wipe over your nylon luxury bag, making sure to avoid any area of the bag that isn’t
- For stubborn stains, use a soft-bristled brush to gently scrub the stain.
- Blot the surface with a dried, soft cloth to eliminate the remaining suds.
- Then, again, let it air dry away from direct sunlight or heat. Be sure to stuff the bag with paper or a towel to help it retain its shape while drying.
When it Comes to Hardware
When it comes to understanding how to clean designer bags, it all comes down to the hardware as well. Don’t leave these parts unloved because you’ll start to notice the wear and tear over time. Although you can clean the hardware at home in a few simple steps, its highly recommended taking them directly to the manufacturer first (or at least contacting them). That way, you can be pointed in the right direction as to how the hardware can be fixed.
Some high-end designers, such as Louis Vuitton, recommend having the bag sent back the corporate factory rather than considering hardware restoration. That way the hardware can be completely replaced.
Maintaining the Interior
Cleaning the interior of luxury bags also requires a level of care and attention to detail to ensure that the material is not damaged and lasts a lifetime. It’s imperative to ensure you show the same amount of love to the inside as you would on the outside.
- Firstly, remove any loose debris or dust using a soft-bristled brush or vacuum.
- Then, use a gentle cleanser specifically designed for the material of your bag's interior. For example, a leather cleaner for leather interiors or a fabric cleaner for fabric interiors.
- Apply the cleanser with a soft cloth, gently rubbing in a circular motion to remove any stains or dirt.
- Once cleaned, allow the interior to dry completely before using the bag again – make sure it is kept out of direct sunlight.
It is important to avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that can damage the material of the bag's interior. Regular luxury bag cleaning and gentle maintenance can help preserve the condition and longevity of your luxury bags.
Where needed, you can use the following instructions to spot clean your bag or deal with small stains.
- Start by testing the cleaning solution on an inconspicuous area of the bag to ensure it doesn't cause any discolouration.
- Dampen a clean, white cloth with a mild detergent mixed with water (following the detergent manufacturer's instructions for dilution).
- Gently blot the stained area with the cloth, being careful not to rub or scrub vigorously. Pat the area dry with a clean cloth.
Metal Hardware Care
Generally, metal hardware on handbags and used in jewellery pieces can be cleaned using a soft, damp cloth. Gently wipe the metal parts to remove smudges or fingerprints. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or harsh chemicals that may damage the metal finish. For tarnished or dull metal hardware, you can use a metal polish specifically designed for the type of metal used.
For More Information
We always recommend consulting a professional bag cleaner or routinely taking your item to a bag spa to have it properly maintained. You can also contact the brand's customer service team for additional care instructions and guidance.